Monday, July 30, 2007

Teaching Meme

A Year of Reading tagged me for this meme. I am a good teacher because...I love what I do and I have fun doing it. I thrive on making a community in my classroom and I want the students to know they can do anything, think anything, and ask anything.

If I weren't a teacher I'd be a/an... Something in the beauty business... something to do with make-up.

My teaching style is... Student-led and very inquiry based.

My classroom is... Full of books, paper, writing, talking, working students, and me.

My lesson plans... Sometimes don't get written down. :0 They are mostly in my head and the head of everyone in the room. (We do workshops and a lot of it is the same everyday)

One of my teaching goals is...to keep as much student ownership in the day as possible. We are being pressured to get rid of that in the name of testing and it is the way kids seem to learn best. Create a classroom community as quickly as possible at the beginning of the year. -- I am keeping both Franki and Mary Lee's answers. I agree with both!

The toughest part of teaching is...You are never quite sure what your doing is the right thing until it is over and you can see the outcome. It is not as simple as "You do this...and this will happen." I love that and hate that.

The thing I love most about teaching is...When a kid comes back and says "Remember when we..." Makes me teary every time!

A common misconception about teaching is... It is 9-3 with summers off. LAWD, nothing could be further from the truth. And I am still not fully convinced that my husband doesn't think I sit in a chair and babysit everyday.

The most important thing I've learned since I've started teaching is... Students learn through example and there is no better way than to read and write in front of them and with them.

*************
I am tagging CookieBooky and My Breakfast Platter And anyone else who feels like doing it. I have no idea who has already been tagged.

4 comments:

AMY T said...

Got it--thanks for the meme toss. And nice answers. I especially like your final observation about learning how much kids learn from watching their teachers learn alongside them.

Flip said...

Thanks for the tag! We had fun with it. We don't know who to tag next though.

Flip said...

Note: This is not really a comment - I just wanted to let you know you can email us at info@cookiebooky.com.

Thanks so much again! I appreciate the warm welcome to the kid lit blog world.

Mary Lee said...

We're never quite sure, and yet we trust ourselves and the kids. And it works. ...Yeah.