Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It Was September When We Ran Away For the First Time by D. James Smith

It Was September When We Ran Away the First Time It Was September When We Ran Away the First Time by D. James Smith


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This trilogy (So far) really intrigues me! I stumbled upon one of D. James Smith's books way back when I started my blog. I accidently read the second book before the first, but it didn't matter. Now there is a third story about Paolo and his Italian-American family.
I love the voice of Paolo. He has some great lines in this book. (I returned it to the library, so I can't quote any...) His family life is so interesting to me. I love the big family he has.
Another point of interest to me is the historical aspects of the series. This book is no exception. The story is set in 1951 and it brings up many great topics for that time period.
I think this is a time period that would be foreign for most students in fifth grade, so I would use it in a read aloud setting. I think sixth or seventh grade students would like it as well.

View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! D. James Smith here. Thanks for noticing my little trilogy.
Best to you in your own work.
D. James

Megan Germano said...

Oh, how AWESOME! I don't blog a lot any more, but I am honored to see your comment. Anything new coming out?