Monday, November 9, 2009

A Season of Gifts by Richard Peck

A Season of Gifts A Season of Gifts by Richard Peck


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I am so glad Grandma Dowdel has returned! And this is a whole new story. A new family (Grandma's new neighbors) have moved in and Grandma Dowdel helps them in her own special way. ;) I absolutely love Richard Peck's humor and character development. This book is a follow up book to A Long Way From Chicago and A Year Down Yonder, but you do not need to read the first two to enjoy this story. However, if you want a little background in the development of Grandma Dowdel, you will not want to miss the first two books. I recommend this book to 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Although some of fifth graders in my class get into reading the other two books, I think the vocabulary of this book makes it more appropriate for 6th grade. But I would surely start them off with the series in fifth grade. I especially like the version on tape I have borrowed from the library.

View all my reviews >>

5 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Hmm...I didn't love this one. Except when the cut down the Christmas trees. The tone seemed way more subdued than the first two. I liked Granny Dowdel to be a bit more...rolicking???

Megan Germano said...

Bummer, Mary Lee. I hate when I get disappointed by a book. The way I looked at it, Grandma had to grow up sometime. :) She is gettin up there in age.

Ms. Yingling said...

These have never been my favorite, but Season of Gifts really disappointed. Moving so far ahead in time didn't work for me, somehow.

lilymac said...

Megs,

I obviously didn't read this book, but I'm diggin' the blog!

sellmysettlement said...

I love book blogs, it's true, I didn't read the book either but this is cool! My son, on the other hand (who I will turn onto this blog) has about 20 thousand, yes thousand books, in 2 outdoor sheds, stored away with the hopes of a bookstore someday. Either that, or he's a hoarder, lol.

Thanks for the post.