Monday, July 16, 2007

Clementine by Sara Pennypacker


I am so ashamed! I missed 2 DAYS of blogging. I must admit, I was running short on titles to blog about and I didn't want to use up all my books before I got more to read. But, "Mes amis, do not fear, LaFayette is here!" (Just kidding, that is a line from a play my kids do about the Revolutionary War)
So today I will be talking about a book I read at the very beginning of summer. As a matter of fact, I read it before school was out and then read it to my kids. The book is Clementine by Sara Pennypacker. They pretty much thought it was funny and cute, but it was also the last two days of school and they could have cared less what I was reading to the class. I am surprised no one jumped up and yelled, "Shut up, lady! We have heard enough of your reading for the year." But they were a polite group and let me read and laugh to myself along the way.
I must admit, again, I got the idea to read this book from A Year of Reading. I get all my great ideas from that blog, apparently. It is very true as Mary Lee says, that this book would be off the radar for my fifth grade students. But I am glad I introduced them to the book.
My favorite part about the book is the way the main character likes to make-up her own language(oh my gosh, FYI... my computer just quit and wouldn't come back on! PANIC! I think I fixed it though?)
Anywho, I am a little distracted right now, so I all I am going to say is I really liked the book and my students did N-O-T, Not think it was babyish. (I, like Clementine, have a bad habit of spelling out things, so my kids thought that was funny. I am constantly telling the class to stop being, B-A-D, BAD)
This is my worst ever post, but my laptop is still going on and off, so I am in a really stressed out place right now. I will do better tomorrow.

4 comments:

Mary Lee said...

You MUST be frazzled! You exaggerate wildly when you say you get all your great ideas from A Year of Reading!! You have inspired me to check out Paulsen's newest books, even if you didn't love them all. I just haven't had a chance to get them, read them, and credit you!

Oh, and on the subject of getting your blog out in the world -- submit one of your favorite posts to the Carnival of Children's Literature (Saints and Spinners is hosting for July. Deadline is soon) or write about some picture books and submit to that carnival at Mentor Texts or take part in Poetry Friday. Or all of the above.

Mostly, keep up the good work!

Megan Germano said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Saints and Spinners said...

Thanks for your carnival submission! I'm posting here because when I hit reply, I realized like a Silly that it wasn't going anywhere...

Saints and Spinners said...

Megan--I just got your note. The theme is just for fun. I'll delete your entry if you really want me to, but you totally don't have to. In fact, I'd encourage you to keep it, but it really is your decision. Just let me know either way!