Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Marley: A Dog Like No Other by John Grogan


The day I have been dreading for the entire summer came yesterday. Late last night as matter of fact. I purchased Marley: A Dog Like No Other by John Grogan at the beginning of the summer. I started to read it, but somehow I got the idea, or heard, or something that the it was the whole life story of the dog.... So, I knew that in the life story of the dog there would be an inevitable end. This freaked me out so much, I put down the book and wouldn't pick it back up. Everyday, up stared that cute little Marley dog on the cover and I knew I couldn't put it off forever.
In my boredom last night, I broke down. I picked up the book and there was no stopping me. I laughed, I thought, and at 1:30 a.m. I bawled as if something tragic just happened to me. I cried so hard my Marley, Rizzo, had to come see what was wrong and lick away my tears.
This is a must read. It really does have a message and the message is not that all dogs die. As you may or may not know this book is the young adult/upper elementary version of the very famous Marley and Me by John Grogan. He also wrote a picture book version called Bad Dog, Marley. (Very smart idea Mr. Grogan)
On a side note, I am now obsessed with a mission to find out something about John Grogan. I had an awesome professor in undergrad and graduate school at the University of Dayton named Patricia Grogan (Pat) and I just have this weird feeling she is related in some way to John. I don't know why I have that idea, I just do, and I am going to continue searching.

My Rizzo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i did this book for my fifth grade book report project and it got me a good grade but i wasn't to hot for the book.):