Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick


I am so glad I finally got around to reading The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. I think I was protesting because I didn't want to carry a book that big to the pool, but pool season is over so I had no excuse. And it is never too late to read a wonderful book!
This is a beautiful book! Not a true picture book, or graphic novel it is so much more. It is all of these things. The story is so rich. I never expected what I saw when I opened the book and began reading.
As the story follows the life of 12 year old Hugo Cabret whose life consists of hiding out in a train station, keeping the clocks running, the author douses the story with the beautiful pencil drawings and cinematic stills! The book is fast paced (finished in 2 hour long settings) and easy to follow. The vocabulary is just right for my students. The author did not feel it necessary to a have foul mouth main character. (Unlike other books I have recently reviewed) The novel has just the right amount of mystery, intrigue, and suspense to keep most fifth graders reading. Surprisingly the author also seamlessly intertwines some cinematic history into the novel. I think this just brings about a whole new genre of books made just for my 5th grade readers, graphic novel!
Check out the Amazon page for this book for great information from the author and perfect reviews.
There is so much to say about this book and many people have done it better than me, so check out what they have to say:
Fuse #8
Interview with Brian Selznick from Scholastic
Librarian's Choice
Best Books 2007
Shelf Life
Heck, just Google it... there are plenty!

No comments: