Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary School by Candace Fleming

All the way through The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary School by Candace Fleming I kept thinking about what a great book it would be to read aloud! It is just what I look for in a book... short, engaging, and it had some great morals to learn.
What I loved, loved, loved about this book were the characters. Not only did they have cute names (librarian Ms. Paige Turner, Missy Place a student who loses everything) but I could see my students feeling a kinship with them. Although, I think they were meant to be "bad seeds" at their school, to me they seemed just like every fourth or fifth grader I have ever met.
The book reads like several short fables each containing a moral every student should hear. However, there is another story going on as well. The story of the student's fourth grade year at Aesop Elementary.
The morals are the "tried and true" variety, but the stories are updated and perfect for the classroom in 2008. One of my favorite stories titled "March Madness" begins:
March was testing time at Aesop Elementary School.
And the moral:
Time is often wasted on things of little consequence.
Now you figure out the fable ;)

Other Reviews:

No comments: