Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Book of One Hundred Truths by Julie Schumacher


I am mad this book has gotten past me this long, The Book of One Hundred Truths by Julie Schumacher. I am so glad I found it. The book is perfect for 5th-7th grade students. The main character, Thea, is just like any troubled 13 year-old. She is holding on to a dark secret and using lies to help her along the way. It is summer and she is off to spend time at her grandma and grandpa's house at the beach. As she is ready to take off, her mother gives her a notebook and asks that she try writing down some truths in it. (Obviously the mother has seen through her lying ways) When Thea gets to her Nenna and Granda (Her names for grandma and grandpa) she finds she is not alone. In fact the house is full for the summer and Thea is struggling with this.
The plot to this book is so multi-layered. I thought the author did a wonderful job creating each of the characters with all of their layers. It was my favorite type of book because I could not stop reading. Every page, I had to know. There is a suspenseful situation to the story and I know it will hook in any reader. The "truths" Thea writes in her notebook build the suspense of the story, yet there is so much else going on as well.
Check it out! I feel you won't be disappointed. I plan to look at other books by this author.

No comments: