Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Talented Clementine by Sara Pennypacker


I promise I am not getting lax on my blogging, but I have been having severe computer problems and so I am only able to blog when the problems are at bay.
As soon as I finished Clementine by Sara Pennypacker, I knew there was a sequel waiting for me out there, but I could not get my hands on it. (Not surprisingly) The other day I was in my old trusty favorite book store Books & Co. (the old one in Town & Country, not the new one at the Greene... You can't teach an old dog new tricks) and they had a copy of The Talented Clementine by Sara Pennypacker. Even though I had not purchased the first book, I decided to purchase this one in case I never found it again. (See how I talk myself into shopping)
I found it to be quite funny and entertaining, just like the first Clementine story. I can so relate to Clementine's problem in this story, which is to find something she is good at, her "talent" for the talent show. I always felt and still do, that I did not have a talent. Or at least one that could be performed for all to see. Some people might say Clementine is too similar to Junie B. Jones and the like, but I think there is something much more special with Clementine. Or possibly it is just that the writing seems better. I would compare Clementine to more of a Ramona Quimby.
I do think some of my students might like this book, but I think I would just stick to the first book to read aloud. One thing I didn't understand is why Pennypacker didn't do something with Clementine's talent for art? Why didn't she use that as a talent for the show? That is a talent I would love to have any day.

1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

My fifth graders didn't like this one NEARLY as much as the first when I read them aloud. There's not as much action or humor. It even seems a little preachy. There's nothing "dangerous" like the word LAXATIVE in it. Yeah, I say let the kids who love Clementine read this one on their own!