Saturday, July 7, 2007

The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron


The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron is another book I read right at the beginning of the summer. Thus, it is hard for me to remember things I wanted to say about it. I liked the book. It was another one of those books that the hype may be bigger than the story for me, but still very well written.
One thing I particularly enjoyed about this story is the way Patron talks about the "Anonymous People." Lucky, the main character, does a lot of snooping on the various 12 Step programs which meet in their very small town, Hard Pan, California. (Population 42) If you know anything about 12 Step programs, you know that they refer a lot to one's "Higher Power." Lucky is determined to find her "higher power." The characters and their quest for finding a "Higher Power" are so true to life. I absolutely love the story of Short Sammy and his "rock bottom" moment on the way to finding a higher power. (Click on the word "rock bottom" and scroll to the bottom to read an excerpt.)
This book particularly hit home for me when I read it for personal things which were occurring in my life at that moment, and I am sure it could for any student too.
As for the controversy over the use of the phrase "scrotum" in the book, I say "GET OVER IT!" At least Susan Patron uses the correct terms for the word and not some slang, disgusting, over used word.

1 comment:

Mary Lee said...

Hey, Megan, looks good! You have read a TON already this summer. I'm jealous. I'm going to have to check out some of the books you've recommended! Keep up the good work!