Thursday, July 5, 2007

Past Perfect, Present Tense by Richard Peck


As I said in a past post, I have this infatuation with Richard Peck books, so I saw this book, Past Perfect, Present Tense and I could not pass it up. I am so glad that I did not. This book contains some of Peck's original short stories. The stories are perfect length for read aloud. There is something for everyone in this book. Humor, mystery, tragedy, history, and purely engaging literature. Some of the short stories included are the stepping stones towards some of Peck's famous and award winning novels.
What I like best about this book is at the beginning of each section, "The First," "The Past," "The Supernatural," and "The Present," Richard Peck gives his thoughts and ideas on how the stories came about and where they are going next. There is also a section at the beginning titled "Introduction" which tells a bit about the form of writing, short story. At the end of the book there are sections titled "How to Write a Short Story" and "Five Helpful Hints." How awesome to have your own minilesson on short story presented from a real short story author. I can't wait to use this book with my class!

No comments: